Thursday, September 16, 2010

What a week!

What a wild ride we have been on for the last couple weeks. Two weeks ago we received an email from Orbitz, the people we booked our flight through. The email said our airline, Mexicana, went bankrupt and our flight had been cancelled! We had no way to get to Guatemala! Michael started making calls immediately. Praise the Lord! He was able to book us on another flight through Delta that left the same day. The flight cost about three hundred dollars more but we were just glad to be able to get a ride! Also, Orbitz said they will refund our money...eventually!
As if that was not heart stopping enough, last Saturday we got an email from our host family. They told us they had overbooked their house and we could not stay with them now. WHAT??? So, we were homeless. We jumped on the Internet and emailed our teacher to ask if she knew any families that might host us. She was so gracious to say we could stay at her home! She has 5 kids and a grandchild that live with her. I am so excited to meet them all. She is also going to pick us up at the airport! What a blessing! God is clearly directing our path very specifically. I'm so excited to be able to trust him to get us where we need to go!
Currently we are still in Chicago with my work. This is where I have been spending all week.

I have been working long days here at the trade show. But, every night I get to go out to delicious dinners in Chicago paid for by the company. REGO-FIX has been kind enough to allow Michael to stay with me for the week. We have been been relaxing in a king sized bed on the 19th floor of the Marriott downtown. Last night we got to talk a walk through Millennium park and see some really cool stuff. Like this giant piece of art with reflective properties.
                                    
We fly out from Chicago on Sunday morning. Its hard to believe that we will be in Guatemala in three days. Wow! We are very excited and very ready to start our new journey. Here at the show, I have met a lot of Spanish speakers and thought to myself, oh, I wish I already knew Spanish so I could communicate better. Very soon!
We will update you all as soon as we land so you know that we made it alive! We cant imagine the journey God has prepared for us!
Thanks to everyone who provided for us on our trip. Many people have provided support for us through finances, gifts for the orphans and gifts of service to us while we are gone. Thank you so much. It means a great deal to us that you are willing to invest in us. God has certainly surrounded us with loving people so that we may follow his call on us.

1 comment:

  1. SWEET! I have this saved on my favorites list now, so I can keep tabs on you two while you're out of my reach...lol. I'm just glad this difficulties occured on THIS SIDE of the trip, and not while you were both over there! Excited to see you both tomorrow. Have a great night.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete